oh, hello there!

Monday, January 17, 2011

An 1874 Mourning Gown



I made my first bustle gown for the Vintage Ball this year. Above are the images I used for research, and down here is the result! As you might be able to see, the jacket has little tabs around the bottom and tails with tassels. I got my idea for the tabs from a 1870's tintype, which I have somehow managed to lose in the depths of my research. :/ Anyway, I've got this on over a mid- Victorian corset I made, my Regency shift (I know, I know, not accurate), a petticoat and a bustle pad. The skirt portion has a pleated ruffle, and is constructed with 5 gores. I made up the pattern as I went. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is very cool!! It's not an LBD though. Very gorgeous. Why a mourning dress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. true! well... basically the only fabric store within 50 miles of me (besides walmart)was closing and the only thing they had more than 2 yards of was black... thus... mourning dress.

    ReplyDelete